Saturday, October 4, 2008

Halloween is coming...

Nate, who's 3, loves Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story. Not only does he love him and can quote half the movie to you - but it seems that he believes he is Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. He runs around using his laser and when he's really inspired...he will draw the laser and communicator on his arms. I have to make sure and keep his hoodies clean because he likes to but the hood on, or should I say 'helmet', just like Buzz. Oh, and it's not just Buzz. It's Buzz Wightyeaw Staw Command.

An example of how very much he loves our beloved Disney/Pixar character, comes in how he addresses himself to other children. We were at the playground the other day and a little 4 year old came up to him and asked his name. After the initial introductions, they went back to climbing and then I heard it. Only a snippet, but it made me laugh so hard. "...but my REAL name is Buzz Lightyear Star Command." He announced with with a huge smile on his face.

I love it! I love the imagination of a child that is so consuming that they are completely transported to another place. Which is why I'm so very excited for the surprise that we found for him on Ebay last week. Coming in the mail is a Buzz Lightyear costume. He is going to freak and I suspect I won't be able to get it off him. Which is okay with me.

My older son, Willem, is 6 and has 2 passions right now. Lego and space. I found directions online to make a Lego costume. I think it should be fun, though awkward to wear at school. But then I read about 5 Minutes for Mom's latest contest. They are giving away inspiring costumes, one of which is a Jr. Astronaut Space Suit. My budding astrophysicist, who told me the other day that he wants to be an astronaut, would love it. I can about imagine the excited look on his face when I presented him with a size 6-8 Jr. Astronaut Space Suit that he could wear as he dreamt of flying to Jupiter.

Head on over there and see if there's a costume that you would like for your child.

No comments:

Post a Comment