Sunday, November 11, 2007

I Need A New Pot

No, not a stash, an actual metal pot. I made some amazing soup today, but it was a challenge getting to it. Here you can see all that was supposed to go in my biggest pot. I had to take out some stock just to get all the veggies in. It eventually cooked down and I even had to add more stock, but in the meantime...

It was worth it! My taste buds had a party this afternoon. Who'da though butternut squash, carrots and yam could taste sooooo good. And for only 2 points for a cup. My house smells so good too. By the way, today I had a first. It was the first time I saw the inside of a butternut squash. I dove in, no fear and found it very interesting. Yup...I have an exciting life. But, look at this beautiful soup:


This was posted by a fellow Weight Watcher on the community boards. I will have to send the poster a big thank you. Here it is for your enjoyment.

Winter Earth Soup
1 Large Onion
2 Cloves Garlic
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 L Vegetable Broth or Chicken Broth (low sodium/fat free)
12 Carrots (peeled and chunked 2 inch pieces)
1 Large Yam (peeled & chunked)
1 Large Butternut Squash (peeled & chunked)
* don't put in celery it ruins the flavor
* input any other root veggies - turnips/potatoes (although they have points)
3/4 - 1 C Fresh Ginger, pureed (use a mini food chopper)
* I used 2 Tbsp ground ginger, probably not as good, but works
Fresh Herbs
* original recipe called for Rosemary/Oregano/Thyme - in mini chopper
* I used 1 Tsp Dried Oregano and 1 Tsp Dried Basil
Saute garlic and onions in oil.
Add the rest of the ingredients.
Boil for about 3 hrs, and then use hand blender to half puree.
It freezes great and is so healthy! It probably makes a stock pot full but nice to have for those quick lunches on the go.
YIELD: 12 1 cup servings
POINTS PER SERVING: 2
* Note: If you use 4 Tbsp of olive oil instead of one, it would add 1 point per serving, but count toward your essential oil serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment