Monday, June 7, 2010

Willipedia - Chemist edition


Did you know that carbonated water is  H2CO3 ?  Did you, did you?

I didn't.  Until my 7 year old told me that it was.  I mean, I suppose in retrospect I could have brought out and dusted off my grade 9 chemistry and figured it out.  But of course, that's not really my speed these days.  (I suppose it should be though)

And no, he did not read about it somewhere.

You see, he figured that since water is H2O and carbon dioxide is CO2  and since pop is basically water and carbon dioxide, then pop is  H2CO3 .

Or dihydrogen carbon trioxide, as he's fond of calling it.

Of course, it makes perfect sense.  Especially since he's right.  Go ahead, google it.  It's true.

Now mind you, he doesn't know other basic math or chemistry concepts that are typically taught before this one, so it's not like he's ready to skip into high school.  But I still found myself in a state of mild shock when I realized he was right.

And thank you to all my friends who were so supportive after I wrote about being a "gifted" mom the other day.  It was a low moment for me and it's nice to know that you don't mind hearing my stories about my scientifically minded boy.

I shouldn't be surprised anymore, but I continue to be.

4 comments:

  1. Dihydrogen Carbon Trioxide???!?!?!? Wow. WOW. What do you DO with that? That is amazing. Like Doogie Howzer, M.D.! :) Except I get that he can't just skip to grade 9... but wow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that kid.

    he makes me laugh. :)

    You should totally get him a lab coat like the mom in "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" does for her science genius :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! What on earth is he going to be someday with smarts like that?

    ReplyDelete