Saturday, July 17, 2010

Sleep

Anyone care to wager a guess as to why my daughter would prefer to sleep on the floor instead of her bed? Albeit, a 7 1/2 year old crib mattress put on a toddler bed.  But still.  It's soft.

Is this a sensory thing?

I keep wondering if she'd do better in a twin sized bed.  Maybe just a mattress on the floor?  Maybe she'd prefer that.

Suggestions as to how to get her to sleep through the night?  Besides the usual parent things that we all try. Seriously, don't tell me to set up a good night time routine or sleep train or whatever.  If you can read it in a parenting magazine, I've tried it.  I'm looking for something to help Finleigh, not a normal child.

I suspect she may have sleep apnea.  Just a guess.   Good thing we finally got into an ENT at the end of the month.  I wonder if he'll be willing to listen to my concerns about her nose as well as the ears that she's been referred for.

Maybe they're related.

Or not.

I wouldn't mind the getting up at night.  And the later bedtimes.  And the waking up stupid early.  And the beginnings of fighting her afternoon nap (unless she falls asleep in front of the TV on the couch).  I wouldn't mind any of those things (cuz I'm actually pretty good at living on not very much sleep) IF - and this is a big if - she was a happy little camper when she's awake.

But of course she's not.  Let the tantrums ensue.

Sleep deprived 3 year old + sensory issues + speech delay + who knows what else = an explosive child + a tattered mommy + frustrated brothers and daddy.

Also a headache and a very bad mood.

That's my math lesson for the day.

And my rant.

3 comments:

  1. oh Amanda... I'm so sorry honey. I wish I had some advice for you. But Aiden didn't sleep through the night for years and years so I've got nothin.

    And ya... if one more person tells me to sleep train Olivia I'm going to kick 'em.

    sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your sleep-deprived pain. Neither of my kids slept through the night very well and now they sometimes sleepwalk so I've got nothing for you suggestion-wise.

    I'll be praying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We believe in the "Go with what works for you" theory. Those books, mags, videos are all made for somebody else's kids.
    She could be having a sensory problem. I'd try the twin if it's an option, and good luck with the ENT!

    ReplyDelete