Saturday, April 30, 2011

Kindergarten Open House

We got to see our new school (for next year) yesterday. I felt a little anxious going in, just like I do every time I go into a new situation. But I was excited too. We were taking Finleigh to the kindergarten open house, where they cancel regular classes for the current kindergartners and let the kids for next year come check it out. They have little activities for the kids to do and it's a good chance for the parents to chat with the teacher and ask any questions they may have.

I was expecting to go in and not really know anyone... but that didn't seem to be the case. In fact, we were quite well known.

The vice principal thought we looked familiar as we walked in and he welcomed us. And since he and I went to the same high school (he was older and WAY cooler than me), why yes, I was familiar.

The kindergarten teacher (who may or may not be there next year) worked at our school the year before and is good friends with Finn's current teacher so we didn't even really need to introduce ourselves. "Hi Finleigh!" we heard as we walked into the classroom. I didn't even have to explain that Finleigh doesn't talk or why my very little child who looks 3 and doesn't talk was going to be going to kindergarten next year.

One of the educational assistants that is in the classroom is good friends with my mom. They used to nurse together way back when I was a little girl when we lived in BC. She even babysat me once or twice. We chatted about my mom's renos, her kids and how much Finn looks like I did.

It felt strange to go to the secretaries afterwards and hand in our registration forms. I couldn't make small talk or chat like I usually do at our current school. I'll miss that easy exchange, but I'm sure that'll come with time.

Finally, we met up with the CST (classroom support teacher, who will be in charge of making sure my special needs kids get what they need for their special learning needs) and she was expecting us. Our current CST has told her about us. We only had a couple seconds to chat, but the introductions have been made.

The set-up is different. The people are different. But the goal will be the same... to help my children succeed. I'm looking forward to it. Even if there is an anaphylactic allergy to cinnamon there. That's right. No cinnamon next year. Or fish. Or nuts. I can't imagine life without cinnamon, but I digress. We can live without it at school. At least the commute will be easier... we're just a couple minute's drive away.

So, that's good. Right? Our minor celebrity (add dripping sarcasm here)? But really, there IS something about Finleigh...

Hopefully it'll make the transition fairly easy for next year.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad they know you - and I am sure within a couple weeks of the new school year they will just love you all :)

    I always dread how well we are known... I can only imagine how people are warned we are coming lol.

    ReplyDelete