Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Hopeless

What do you do when you've lost hope?

I have a son who has unlimited potential, but who continually manages to self sabotage himself.

And the school doesn't understand how to help. Or doesn't want to. Or can't. I'm not really sure which one it is.

I don't know how to handle this, short of being obnoxious and in there all the time. Even a chat with someone at the school district turned into a very discouraging interaction and resulted in a call to the psychologist. Not differentiated programming, not a pull out class - both of which worked for him last year. No, a call to the school psychologist. What the hell is he supposed to do??? It also alienated me from some of the staff - imagine that.

I have a son who wants to go to Cambridge to study theoretical physics when he grows up. But many days, it seems like we'll be lucky to get him through high school and into a community college (if his grades and attitude keep up the way they've been), let alone CAMBRIDGE.

I'm not sure what's harder... Watching my child with so much potential go down in flames? Or trying to help my child born with disabilities and challenges fly?

Today I feel hopeless.

And helpless.

And really, really tired.

(Tomorrow I'm sure I'll find the will to fight again, but today I just don't have it)

3 comments:

  1. I've been too hopeless over Aiden's extreme anger to read blogs for the last two days so I totally get it. I love you. And I'm so very sorry.

    We are going to be doing family sessions this summer with our Autism counsellor... I can only hope it helps.

    How did we get here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry. My sister is having the same issues with her two boys; I wish there were something I could do or say to help, but I will pray for you and your family, if it helps to know that this stranger is praying for you. I hope things have gotten better since this post.

    ReplyDelete