Sunday, July 10, 2016

A good moment


Some days are good.

My parents took Finleigh overnight last night, so I slept in. And when I woke up I lingered in bed. Because I could.

While there, I went on to social media to find that both my husband and my best friend had posted two excellent articles on privilege and intersectionality. Now, I don't do much about it, but I am passionate about this topic... few things can get me worked up as much as people refusing to understand that not everyone has the same opportunities in life. (In case you're curious, this is one and this is the other)

I have surrounded myself with the right people.

When I came downstairs, I saw my husband - shirt off - installing the new dishwasher. I mean, ladies, is there anything more sexy than a man with his shirt off doing handy work around the house (and that thinks about social justice)? Not in my world.

I went over to give him a kiss and he said, "I smell. I got dishwasher water all over me." I looked at him. Meh. Kissed him anyways.

I have two intelligent boys upstairs that are funny and self aware and caring, albeit a little obsessed with their video games.

And I'm now sitting in my family room, that is decorated just the way I wanted it with things that I love. It did not burn down and is just the way we left it two and a half months ago. Hot coffee beside me. On the verge of launching my new business (more to come on that another day). Just finishing up a project that I've found inspiring and fun. And I'm proud of the work that I've done. I have time, in this moment, to learn some new information that will help me with the project.

And I'm going over for supper at my parents' house tonight. They took my biggest stressor in life for the day and are now going to feed me! There will even be wine.

Life isn't perfect. It's still really, really hard. But I'm savouring this beautiful, stress-free moment where my heart beats normally and the tension in my chest has all but gone away. I'm grateful for these moments. I'm grateful that I can enjoy the moments when they come. I'm grateful that I can write them down, so that when life feels overwhelming I can come back here and remember that it's not always that bad. I'm not sure that five years ago I would have believed that things could be this okay. If only just for this moment, things are good.

1 comment: