Saturday, March 15, 2008

Secret Life of a Soccer Mom

I watched a show last night that really hit home. It's called The Secret Life of a Soccer Mom. Have you seen it? It's been on for a couple of weeks, but last night was the first time I'd caught it.

In the episode last night, an ex-chef mom to 1 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old boys had a second chance at working in the chef world at an apparently exclusive restaurant. She was in her glory back in her element, but inevitably chose to stay at home with her kids. It was a tough decision for her.

I bawled. I mean tears running down my face bawling. I was a mess.

Not that I had any kind of illustrious career ahead of me when I chose to stay home with the kids, but there's still a certain kind of fulfillment that you get when you're doing something that you're good at - outside the home.

All I've ever really wanted was to stay at home with the kids. Really, it's true. Even when I was in high school as an honor roll student, in the back of my head...it was still about being a mom. In college it was the same thing. Luckily I got that chance.

I'm so thankful for the opportunity to be at home with the kids. I wouldn't change it for anything. But there are moments when I wonder, what if...

No comments:

Post a Comment