Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Invisible Boy - A review

Hatchette Book Group sent me this book in exchange for an impartial review.


Category: FICTION
Format: HARDCOVER BOOK
Publish Date: 3/30/2010
Price: $24.99/$29.99
ISBN: 9780446511346
Pages: 432
Size: 6" x 9"


The description on the back cover:  The smart-mouthed but sensitive runaway socialite Madeline Dare is shocked when she discovers the skeleton of a brutalized three-year-old boy in her own weed-ridden family cemetery outside Manhattan. Determined to see that justice is served, she finds herself examining her own troubled personal history, and the sometimes hidden, sometimes all-too-public class and racial warfare that penetrates every level of society in the savage streets of New York City during the early 1990s. 


Madeline is aided in her efforts by a colorful assemblage of friends, relatives, and new acquaintances, each one representing a separate strand of the patchwork mosaic city politicians like to brag about. The result is an unforgettable narrative that relates the causes and consequences of a vicious crime to the wider relationships that connect and divide us all.




What did I think?  Invisible Boy by Cornelia Read is an interesting read.  Right off the bat, I will warn you that if you don't like foul language, don't read this book.  There is a lot of profanity throughout this novel.  I felt it was a little excessive myself, but everyone has their own comfort level.  


The story was dark and sad with some fairly graphic descriptions.  No worse, however, than any police or courtroom drama you'd see on TV.  I feel like I should have been more upset by this book, given the content, but I had a hard time really getting into the characters or their perspective.  I don't know if I'd feel differently if I was from New York, but I just couldn't identify.  So, I enjoyed the story and thought it brought up some important social justice issues, but I did not find myself completely immersed in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment