Saturday, June 5, 2010

Should be interesting

My husband will be across the country for 16 days this June at a literary seminar.

I'm very excited for him because I think he deserves it.  Can you imagine spending 16 days just being you?  Not a parent or a spouse or an employee or whatever else.  Just you.  And that's what he gets to do, spend 16 days in pursuit of his dream.  I pushed him into it and insisted he go.  I'm glad he's going.

The reality though?  16 days on my own is daunting.  I'll be fine.  My sister and her sweet little baby will be coming up for a few days to keep me company, so that will help.  And my grandparents and one of my aunts are planning to be up here one weekend too (they'll be staying with my parents).

And I've now discovered Skype.  My far away friends may get very tired of me.

I do, however, know that being the only parent of my kids for 16 days is going to be difficult.  My patience will be tried.  I will probably lose my cool more than I'd like.  And I'll be tired because I won't have my husband to wake up with my crazy daughter in the middle of the night... or clean up her poop.

I'm looking forward to see how I do though.  I don't need to be independent much these days, but it think it's important to maintain it.  You know being a woman of the 21st century and all.

Should be interesting.

2 comments:

  1. 16 days is a looonnnnggg time. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to be on my own for 16 days... either as the single parent or as the person away. Wow.

    Skype is good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am here and willing to help! If you need a break we would love you have everyone here for a playdate and you can have some time to yourself!

    ReplyDelete