Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Back to School

Today the kids went back to school. Their first day.

Brian and I are sitting in the house, marvelling at how quiet it is. Even with the TV on.

One of my favourite parts of back to school is the pictures. I remember posing for them. All dressed up in my new clothes, new school smell wafting from my backpack. So excited for a fresh, new year. 

We have some sweet pictures of the boys, but Finleigh...


Well, Finleigh's a different story...





No mommy, I don't want to get dressed. No mommy, I don't want to pose for pictures. No mommy, I don't want to go to school. No mommy, I don't want to get in the car.

No. No. No.

By the time we got to school, she was a little happier.


Just had to put her shoes back on.


And once we were inside the school, Finleigh was running around, hugging everyone she saw. Vibrating with excitement. So happy to be there. I hope she has a good day.

But it's exhausting. Fighting to get her dressed. Fighting to get her shoes on. Fighting to get her out of the house. Fighting to get her in the car. And like today, fighting to get her to pose for a picture - and losing. 

Losing miserably.

When I think about how we're going to function when she gets bigger and I can no longer manipulate her physically, I'm scared. I hope that we can one day get her dressing and getting ready without the fight. Otherwise, the day will come when we are completely at her mercy. We will start being late. It will be frustrating. 

But we made it on time today. And for today, that's the important thing. I guess.


1 comment:

  1. You can tell by those few photos that you are a tremendous source of comfort for her. I am sure change doesn't come easy for Finleigh and I'm sorry you have to struggle so much in your every day life.

    ReplyDelete