Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New Year's Resolution

I haven't done a New Year's Resolution in years. Probably almost 10. Why? Because I NEVER follow through with them. January is a weird time to try to make major changes to your life, don't you think? It has very little day light, people feel depressed coming off the high of the holidays, it's often stinking cold! January 24 is considered by some to be the most depressing day of the year. I've never really liked January. So why add to that the discomfort of change and/or the guilt of not fulfilling yet more goals? That is what I ask you.

Having said that, every year after Christmas and New Years I do say to myself..."Okay, I HAVE to get this weight under control." Always with a sinking dread in my stomach that I likely will not succeed.

Not this year! It feels good to know that I am already doing something about my weight. Now, I do have goals for 2008: I do want to be to my goal weight this year and I do want to be able to run 5 km. But these goals are ones that I'm already working on. I'm already on the path and I do not have to be making changes to attain these goals.

Am I perfect? Of course not! I really should nurture my children more. Read to them more, take them out more, expose them to more, teach them more. I really should spend less money and become more thrifty. I should recycle more and use better cleaning products for the environment. I should donate more money and likely time. I should watch less TV. I should keep my house cleaner. Etc. etc! But, I'm not making resolutions for them. One thing at a time. I'm just glad I'm on my way.

1 comment:

  1. I like your stand on this one...this is the first year I've seriously made them....we'll see how it goes...I have some goals as well-- are they the same? who knows.... good luck with everything!! its going to be a great year!~

    ReplyDelete