Monday, April 21, 2008

The Weekend She Had Her MRI

Finleigh's MRI went well. As far as I know anyways. We were very lucky to get the first pediatric slot of the day, so we were there at 7:15am. It was nice because she didn't really have to fast or anything. Since she had to go under general anesthetic for this procedure, the instructions were, no formula after 12am and no clear fluids after 4:30am. Usually, she eats her last time between 8 and 9 pm and doesn't have breakfast until 7:30 or 8am. So, should have been fine. Except she threw up her entire bedtime feed all over me the night before the MRI. Not sure why???? Perhaps because I gave her an extra ounce more than she's used to. Ah well. Luckily, my bra dried by the next morning (after washing it) and while it was a long night, since she didn't sleep well, things went smoothly in the morning.

Finleigh has notoriously difficult veins. See the end of this post for a previous experience. This occasion was no different and since they give the general anesthetic by IV, we needed a vein. The tech came out to put some emla cream (a numbing cream to make putting in the IV less painful) on her arms. But, he couldn't see any veins. So, he put it on her feet, cuz there was a little bit of a blue trace there. One parent is to accompany the child into the prep room until baby goes to sleep, so I went in there and met with the anesthesiologist (who happened to be the same one who did Finn when she had her scopes back in August). The decision was made that they wouldn't attempt an IV while she was awake because it would be too difficult to find a vein. So, she would put her to sleep using a mask first. I was warned that there would likely be some screaming and thrashing, but it wouldn't hurt and she'd be out quickly. We all braced. I held her hands, someone else held her feet. The mask went on and we waited for the struggle, which never came. She moved her head back and forth a couple times, then looked up at the doc and slowly fell asleep. Easy as that. Then I left. I was called back about 40 minutes later to a little girl who was groggy but smiling. What a little gem she is. Makes these difficult things so easy. She was grouchy after that, but I figure it was because she was hungry because as soon as I fed her, she was her happy little self again. Looking forward to getting the results in the next week or so.

In the meantime, we have an opthamlogist appt. tomorrow. And then another physio/occupational therapy appt. on Wednesday.

And now, I want to show you a picture of what it looks like outside today. April 21st. You can scroll down 2 posts to see what it looked like when we left for the city a couple days ago. Look at how much snow is on the roofs! Two vehicles have gotten stuck infront of our house this afternoon. The wind is whipping the snow around and it's -10 C (14 F). Feels like -16 C (3 F). I just shovelled my now covered sidewalk an hour before this picture was taken. This is the weather I drove home in yesterday. The highways seemed okay as we left the city yesterday, but it was a tough drive. It took us 6 1/2 hours to get home. Normally, it's about a 4 1/2 or 5 hour trip, depending on how long we stop. I drove the whole way and was so very proud of myself for doing it. I was brave, thanks to my mom's moral support. My husband got to work 3 hours late last night and got home 1 hour late this morning. He takes a company chartered bus to work, so it's okay and everyone was late. But, I think it's safe to say that it's the worst storm of the winter. We're supposed to get 20 cm (8 inches) of snow overnight.

All I have to say is thanks be to God that we got home safe yesterday.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that everything went well with Finn's MRI and that you arrived home safely!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad it went ok. And snow sucks.

    I have a bunch of giveaways on my blog right now so make sure to enter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that it went well! I was thinking about you and said a prayer for her (and mommy).

    I can't believe the snow!!! We had to turn on the AC tonight to keep from melting! It got up to 85F today and was very humid. I took pictures to do my meme. Hopefully I will get that done tomorrow or Wed. I had some catching up to do since I have been busy with my blog remodel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sucks about the snow! I'm very glad to hear how Finn's MRI went though.

    ReplyDelete