Thursday, March 25, 2010

Next - A Review

Hatchette Book Group sent me this book in exchange for an impartial review.


Category: FICTION
Format: HARDCOVER BOOK
Publish Date: 3/9/2010
Price: $23.99/$28.99
ISBN: 9780316051927
Pages: 320
Size: 6" x 9-1/4"

The description from the back cover: One Man, one day, and a novel bursting with drama, comedy, and humanity.

Kevin Quinn is a standard-variety American male: middle-aged, liberal-leaning, self-centered, emotionally damaged, generally determined to avoid both pain and responsibility. As his relationship with his girlfriend approaches a turning point, and his career seems increasingly pointless, he decides to secretly fly to a job interview in Austin, Texas. Aboard the plane, Kevin is simultaneously attracted to the young woman in the seat next to him and panicked by a new wave of terrorism in Europe and the UK. He lands safely with neuroses intact and full of hope that the job, the expansive city, and the girl from the plane might yet be his chance for reinvention. His next eight hours make up this novel, a tour-de-force of mordant humor, brilliant observation, and page-turning storytelling.

What did I think? I really enjoyed reading Next by James Hynes.  It was different, interesting, current and believable.  Okay, so reading an entire book about a middle aged man and his inner thoughts (as a woman in her 30's) was a little out of my normal reading scope, but I do like reading new and different perspectives.  Do men really think like that?  I found the characters honest, interesting and multi-dimensional. I liked the pace and how the author took me to the end of the story, which left me breathless and thinking.  Wonderfully written and enjoyable.


I'll warn you though for my more conservative friends, if talk about sex bothers you...there's a fair amount of that in this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment